Planting Alpine Containers
Create a striking naturalistic landscape in miniature with Alpine plants.
The compact nature of alpines make them ideal for a 'mini garden' and the container allows you to create the exact conditions they thrive in.
- A shallow wide container is ideal. Ensure there are adequate drainage holes, as alpines so not like to sit in water.
- The correct medium should be about 50% soil-based compost, such as John Innes and 50% horticultural grit or sand.
- Place your chosen alpines between some rocks (thinner tall rocks look best) and try different positions until you are happy with the look.
- Choosing plants with a good mix of heights and textures and colours will have the most impact.
- Finish will a topping of gravel or stone chips. Water, and place in a position with full sun.
- Enjoy your new garden!